I think this would block pings, but I'm sure there are other ways, much
better, to block ping request.  A firewall should handle that for you.

As far as it preventing you from pinging other machines, it won't affect
you.  If you block the port, it will not accept packets at that level,
it has nothing to do with you being able to us /bin/ping.  The only way
to really prevent that, would be to do a chmod 0000 /bin/ping.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
  8:53pm  up 8 days,  7:48,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00