On Tuesday 14 August 2001 01:41, James S Bear wrote:
> I've been listening to your file system talks and have come to the
> conclusion that reiser is better.  Is it not for any reason?  I have a
> bunch of machines all formatted ext2.  Is there a way to convert it to
> reiser without reformatting?  I went into linuxconf and just changed the
> filesystem type on my /home partition, just to see what would happen.  It
> seems that nothing happened. What can I do? Anything?
> jim
>

> Ignorance is underrated

It is not possible to convert from ext2 to Reiser _in situ_  You must copy away the
info, preserving
links, format reiser and copy back.

Reiser is still not as robust as it should be.  I can make it fail with tests
hammering at the filesystem across
NFS, complete with data corruption.  It is not known at present whether the

1) default mount of Reiser for kernel 2.2
2) notail mount of Reiser for kernel 2.4

actually work.  People have lost files.  One Mandrake volunteer was doing a tarball
compilation when
suddenly ./configure would not locate directories  He did ldconfig and it confirmed
the directories were there.

I told him how to use the rescue CD for a reiser partition and we checked a few
things.  The block count was
wrong.   He did reiserfsck --rebuild-tree and hung at 60%.  Result--total KO of
filesystem and new install.

In the next release you will have some other journaling filesystems to choose from.
Reiser remains at this time
a very bright idea incompletely implemented.

Civileme

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com