Kevin Fonner wrote:

> OK, Ive got a new interesting problem...  If I type startx from a
> command prompt then X starts up fine...  Hoever if I type X then it
> starts up with that sort of grey screen with a pointer on it but never
> gets any graphics.  I know kdm tries to start x with an X command so why
> is this behaving this way?
>
> Oh and by the way I remember their was a key sequence to force X to
> shutdown....  What was that?

X is only X server. This is only gray screen. But the KDE is program that runs
under X.
There are different program for starting - startx, xinit and X.
startx is a script that start many others things after starting X.
You can use xinit for example for starting X and the 1 program under it. You
can try by example
"xinit /usr/bin/xclock" (if i could remember  "/usr/bin/xclock" is a proper
PATH).

If you try "xinit" along - this start X and the terminal. Now type "startkde"
in tne terminal or xclock or some X program.

Naka.