On Wednesday 15 August 2001 03:16, you wrote:

> Windows98 is ignored whether I set it as the default or not.
>
> Could you tell me what the Windows98 entries in /etc/lilo.conf or Boot
> Config should be?

Firstly, I apologise to the list for this long message.

I noticed your /etc/lilo.conf shows the Windows table on hdb, I think it
should be hda since thats where you have Windows.  Someone please correct
me if I'm wrong.  I am definitely not good at this!

I just switched Linux to hda and Windows to hdb the other day, and what a
headache!  I used a partition manager (BootIt NG) so that I could copy my
entire Windows partition from a CD image file I had made a while back (to
save having to install the OS, then the drivers, then all my software,
then tweak the settings!).  Anyway, I ended up with a similar problem -
Linux or Linux.

I don't know if this will help you but here's my setup:

/dev/hda1 = /
/dev/hda5 = swap
/dev/hda6 = /usr
/dev/hda7 = /home
/dev/hdb2 = /mnt/windows
/dev/hdb5 = /mnt/backup

Mandrake Control Center > Boot > Boot Config > (click) Configure

In the Bootloader main options dialog:
Bootloader to use:      LILO with graphical menu
Boot device:            /dev/hda
Delay before booting default image:     5

In the list of entries:
linux (/boot/vmlinuz) *
failsafe (/boot/vmlinuz)
windows (/dev/hdb2)

Each individual entry (click) Modify:

Label:  linux
Image: /boot/vmlinuz
Root:   /dev/hda1
Append:  hdc=ide-scsi
Video mode: (blank)
Initrd:  /boot/initrd.img
Read-write:   (not ticked)
Default:           (ticked)

Label: failsafe
Image:  /boot/vmlinuz
Root:    /dev/hda1
Append: hdc=ide-scsi failsafe
Video mode: (blank)
Initrd:  /boot/initrd.img
Read-write:   (not ticked)
Default:           (not ticked)

Label: windows
Root:   /dev/hdb2
Table:  /dev/hdb
Unsafe:         (not ticked)
Default:        (not ticked)

***NOTE*** my Windows shows hdb2 because I couldn't get rid of the EMBR
left by BootIt NG - will fix that another day. I think normally this would
be Root: /dev/hdb1

If this doesn't make much sense to you, get back to me.  HTH and good luck.
skinky

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com