On Wednesday 15 August 2001 10:02 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> Good question. You've gotten me wondering about that too. If you
> wanted to do it manually I would assume that you would have to boot
> from (or chroot to) another filesystem (like a CD or floppy). How do
> fscks work on boot? When an fsck is needed at bootup, it is run
> _before_ the partiton is mounted.

  I believe the answer might be fsck is run on mounted partitions.
They're just mounted read only.  BUT I don't really know, and I haven't
used ext2 or need e2fsck on any partitions for a long time. Still it's
a good question and sure made me curious.
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com