it has to do with the CPU chip in-out architecture, i refers to intel, 86
refers to the structure intel has used since the days of 8086 processors, if
you follow the progression of intel processors, 8086, (includes 8088)
(80)286[all really 8 bit i/o], (80 or just an i) 386[ 16 bit i/o, and
includes 486] i586= pentium [32bit i/o], i686 = P2+celery err,,
celerons+P3+Pent4, , dec or alpha is the Digital Equipment Corp 64 bit chip

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com