> Why can't programmers put informational error messages in there code. For
> example, this mysql problem, why couldn't they have made the error something
> like:

Grab the source and change the error messages :).

Or write the programmer(s) suggesting that the text be clarified if it
could potentially cause confusion. Many developers' first language is
not English; bear that in mind too.

(BTW, a long time ago I suggested to Linus he change the text of the
irq 16 error reporting -- boot time messages for boxes that at the time
had math coprocessors. At the time, the older text seemed to be a point
of confusion. Linus agreed :).

> I just had this problem here at work. I was running a program written by one
> to the developers here.  When I went to run it, it just said "Got an error"

The old TRS-80 model I had "WHAT", "HOW" and one other error message - that
was it :).

>  ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Well, if the error message was less verbose, then the people who really
knew what a socket was, where /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock was and what to
do about the message might not have enough information to fix the problem.
One has to be able to balance between too much 'programmer-speak' and not
enough.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com