>>     Either you are ME are wrong then, 'cause that's sound
>> >

>System Properties includes these entries:
>
>VIA Tech VT82C686 PCI to ISA bridge
>VIA Tech VT82C686 Power Management Controller

Wait, I get it.  This is about talking to my ISA Ensoniq
sound card yes?  Anyway, is this info sufficient to prove
I have VIA bus in any case?  I guess I need to dig out
MB manual if I want to know more about chipsets.

>>     I have exactly the same setup, 2 HDD's on ide0 and CD and CDR on
>>ide1. I do a lot of large transfers and CD burning and I've yet to
>>experience any VIA bug.  Some motherboards (Abit) are reported to be
>>more susceptible.

Now I'm abit worried :-D  When installing the new floppy
drive just now (which appears to have resolved the problem),
I noticed the Abit logo on my fan.  So that's what I've got.
So maybe I'm in for a rough ride?  Is this "bug" unique to
MDK8?  How easy is it going to be to restore the system to
pre-dual-boot if I find MDK is incompatible?

Kirby

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com