On Friday 17 August 2001 13:41, Mitchell, Edmund wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Trying to round out my Linux education (this may take a few years ;>)):
>
> On bootup, I can save a second or two by stopping the process(?) daemon(?)
> that's checking to see if I have installed or removed any hardware.  I
> think it's either harddrake or kudzu, but one (I think) is very important,
you don't need kudzu each startup
> and the other is only necessary if I change some hardware, so I don't want
> to guess wrong.  Can someone tell me which is which?

> My other O$ on this dual-boot machine has a very fast internet connection
tell us more about the connection, it "might" have more support than you
think.
> that doesn't support Linux, so I'd like to download, e.g., the new KDE rpms
> with it.

cp works from winders to linux for me, just cp them to your home
 I can see the files from Linux, but can I move them to the Linux partition,
> and if so, will they install correctly?  Is there any voodoo I should know
> about first? yes, coffee is very important especially on cold days <g>

> Thanks muchly
>
> Edmund
>

> P.S.  Oh yeah, what's a bogomip, and is it good or bad that my box has 4300
> of them? thanx-
Bogomips = bogus (as in made up) millions of instructions per second. just a
measurement of speed of nothing, so the computer timing will be correct.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com