I notice Abit KT7A is green lined at Mandrake website,
meaning tested.  My KT7E uses same VIA KT133E /VIA 686B
chipset.  So maybe I shouldn't be fearing some VIA bug
after all (savvy guy Brinkman was suggesting Abits could
be problematic, yet none of the Soyo MBs listed at
Mandrake are green lined :-D).

AMD brags about Apollo chipset here:
http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/20114.html (June last year)
recommends KT7 Socket A MBs here:
http://www1.amd.com/athlon/mbl/index/1,1503,,00.html

If there was some disconnect between AMD and Abit over
VIA/Apollo chipset, I don't find any mention at the
website.

So I guess I'll try to install 8.0 after all, now that
I've fixed the silly floppy disk problem.  Fingers
crossed.  No wait, still need a good MDK install disk.
I'm going .iso right now, try before buy.

Kirby

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com