On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:58, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2001 11:03 pm, s escribió:
> > On Thursday 23 August 2001 10:45 pm,  Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > > it occurred to me that I had been inflicted with my first email
> > > worm! And, for all that I know, the very first Linux email worm!!
> >
> > How did you know?  What did it do?  How did you get rid of it?
> > Details, please?
>
>     Yes, I'm curious to.  I suspect it was Code Red or some other
> Windoze email worm embedded in the HTML that couldn't have caused any
> problem with Linux specifically, but maybe with Nutscrape.  Which is a
> good reason not to use HTML, Windoze or Nutscrape for email, ever,
> never! The same mesg's Carroll received have caused no problems for
> Kmail.  Then again I'm no security expert. I don't have to be. I quit
> using M$ products to connect to the Net, mail or news years ago.

HTML by itself _cannot_ do anything malicious -- it is a benign language. The
main cause for 99% of all security problems of this type originates with
VBscript, which can only be read by Microsoft applications. This is worsened
by the fact that M$ software often accesses the kernel directly (via M$'s
'secret' API), and aren't hindered by the safeguards that are applied to
other Windos software (which are still poor, IMNSHO). JavaScript can also be
a problem, but it is far safer than VBscript. In short, there are _no_
GNU/Linux e-mail virii or worms.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson