By default, it will deny all connections except those user / password
combinations that are either in the group groupname (from any domain), or
are listed in the require user line -- user1, user2, and user3 from any
domain.

This .htaccess example does work, as I am using one almost identical to the
one below right now on an apache virtual host to protect a "work in
progress" from being accessed by the public at large.

The closest analogy would be the difference between a mostly open and a
mostly closed firewall.  In a mostly open firewall, you basically allow
connections on any protocol unless you specifically deny it.  In contrast,
a mostly closed firewall denies connections unless you specifically allow
it.  This .htaccess would be roughly equivalent to a mostly closed firewall.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978