I've been trying to get my soundcard to work now for weeks, well off and on.
I've been on this list getting help, lots of good suggestions, but nothing
has worked.  I started to load ALSA, but the first thing the HOWTO said was
to turn off all the other sound drivers.  Number two was to be sure
"soundcore" was running.

Ok, stage is set.  How do I make sure that I've turned off all the other
sound drivers (I have a "classic" SB16 ISA -PNP card)?  "snd" is currently
running, I think that I can turn that off.  But is there anything else?

The second part has me stumped.  I cannot find the soundcore module anywhere
on my computer.  It is listed in the modules.dep file as required for several
modules (that I'm not running).  ALSA was automatically installed when I
installed M 8.0.  I would guess that if soundcore was only required for ALSA
it would have been installed also???  Is soundcore required for normal
non-ALSA sound?

BTW, I have the following hardware

AMD K6-II at 420 MHZ
ASUS P5A motherboard
160 MB RAM
20 gig Maxtor HD
CD and CD-RW -(both work fine)
NVidia TNT2 32 MB
Realtek NIC
and SoundBlaster 16 ISAPNP.  Worked fine in Windows.

Thanks, Linus