On Saturday 01 September 2001 18:32, Nelson Bartley wrote:

> I'm trying to update my kernel via the cooker RPM packages. Now I have no
> idea what I'm doing, and every time I install the new kernel it doesn't
> work.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has written a how-to on kernel updating via RPM
> for mandrake, or if anyone can give the list of things I need to do it
> would be greatly appreciated.

The last time I tried to update my kernel from RPM I completely lost ReiserFS
capability (I was running 7.2 at the time) and I had to reinstall from cd.
Since then, I've left kernel upgrades well alone. There'll be one soon enough
when 8.1 comes out.

So, one newbie to another,  the question you need to ask yourself is "Why do
I want to change the kernel? Is there something missing in the one I've got?"
OK, so that's two questions. Here's another one: If you're not running a
server under heavy security constraints, what do you really need the latest
kernel for?

OK, if I haven't put you off, try here:
/usr/share/doc/rute-o-9.1/rute.pdf
(your version number may differ) and turn to chapter 42

Alternatively, try
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Good luck

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

"An intellectual is someone who has discovered something more
interesting than sex" - Aldous Huxley