On Saturday 01 September 2001 14:43, you wrote:
> >    Don't know where that cooler idea came from? Tbird's run hot,
> > hotter than Durons. Bigger caches, more voltage, more wattage, more
> > heat.
>
> That's what I thought too.
>
> My vote goes for a good case with adequate (or more than adequate)
> cooling. The case I bought when I assembled my Athlon system back in
> March has three case fans, plus (of course) the CPU fan & heatsink. In
> addition, the motherboard has a little fan just south of the processor
> (although it's pretty dinky, and may not contribute a lot to the
> overall cooling).
>
> These days, even some video cards come with fans on them, so don't
> skimp on the cooling. An overheated processor is essentially, very
> quickly, a dead one nowadays.
>
> >    Yes, with 1.4 Tbirds selling for $120, and equaling the perfomance
> > of 2 gig Pentium 4's just out.  Seems like the best deal, no?.  Maybe
>
> That's cool - my 1 Gig Athlon cost about $225 five months ago :).
>
> >     Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

> David E. Fox                              Thanks for letting me
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            change magnetic patterns
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               on your hard disk.

I need to restate what I was saying, and that is that the T-bird is easier
to cool (not necessarily runs cooler) because it has a larger surface area
to contact the heat sink.  This means that cooling is still critical
however. That is one reason I chose the Soyo K7VTA mobo, it has an auto
shut down if the fan fails. Just one more small piece of insurance ( if it
works).  I too vote for a good case with power supply fan, front fan and
at least one rear fan.  ("but it's a dry heat").
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842