on 9/3/01 10:13 PM, Warren Post at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I will be installing LM8.0 on two PCs as soon as I finish downloading
> it. I know I need to get more RAM, but how much is enough?
>
> Box 1 is a Celeron 366 MHz with 32 MB, box 2 is a K5 100 MHz with 16 MB.
> Both will be used for public Internet access: IceWM, Konqueror and/or
> Netscape, KOffice and/or StarOffice, a messenger program... and no doubt
> a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even know about yet.

I'd recommend 64MB for each minimum. I run Linux on my laptop with 32MB and
it's not really ideal, lots of swap space used, rather slow. I'd like to
upgrade but ram for my old laptop costs a fortune. I run icewm or blackbox
on my laptop.

ram right now is rather cheap. I got a 256MB dimm for $30 from crucial.com
for my desktop. Those older machines will be more expensive, but hopefully
still reasonable.

Matt