Jen,

It's a backquote, by the way...:)  All bash is doing
is waiting for you to complete the command.  The
little > is a prompt it gives you to show it's still
communicating with you - it's just waiting for you to
give the closing backquote!

This works for any command that is clearly not
finished, such as for ... do.  bash will keep
prompting you with > until it gets the closing done.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ron.

--- jennifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This happens to me all the time, but I am finnaly
> going to put the question
> to you guys no matter how embarassing it is.
>
> When I'm using bash, I sometimes hit the ' (comma)
> key instead of enter and
> then get brought into a loop I can't get out of. I
> imagine this is some sort
> of feature that would allow you to enter extra long
> command sequences but the
> <enter> key does not activate the command, nor can I
> find anyway to get out
> of the loop.  (or shall i say in the loop because I
> don't have a clue
> <smiles>  All i get is the >  charactor no matter
> what monkey business I try
> with the key bored.
>
> With humble humilty,
>
> jen