I know this is a very, very trivial question but for some reason I can't find
the manual for it:

How do I change the default login group for a user?

I've looked in /etd/passwd and man -a passwd but have found nothing
relevant.

Currently, if I log in my group name is the same as my user name.
Now, if for some reason I wanted to change the group that I start up in
(so that new files that I make are owned by george.newgroup),
how would I do it?

Please point me to the relevant manuals or just give me the answer :)

Thanks in advance,
George