At 06:33 AM 09/06/2001 GMT, you wrote:
>This is a multi-part message in MIME format...
>
>------------=_999758021-7607-1676
>
>> Hello, been lurking a bit and had a question that the gurus can help me
>> with.  I recently installed MySQL from source code and thusly, didn't get
>> everything entered automagically into my etc/rc.d/init.d folder for
>> execution at bootup.  I copied the  mysql.server file into init.d and ran
>> the command in start and stop to verify it worked, which it did.  My
>> problem is...how do I get it to autostart on reboot?  I tried rebooting to
>> test it and no go.  I'm sure it has to do with the other rc.1, etc.
>> folders, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.
>
>Depends on whether you boot runlevel 3 or 5.
>You need a symlink in /etc/init.d/rc3.d or /etc/init.d/rc5.d for it to run
>automatically. (Names of dirs may be off, not at my linux box at the moment)
>
>Paul

More specifically, you'll need a symlink in /etc/rc.d/rc[3-5].d/ .

The usual link for mysql in Mandrake is S90mysql which should be a link to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql -- so you'll do 'ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql
S90mysql' from inside /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, /etc/rc.d/rc4.d, and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
without the quotes.

Finally, you'll need to add two kill links (so that when it reboots or goes
into runlevel 1, it'll correctly stop mysql), so you'll do
'ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql K90mysql' from inside /etc/rc.d/rc1.d and
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d without the quotes.

Needless to say, you'll have to be root to do so.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978