As much as I dislike the situation, you can't really blame nvidea..

Microsoft offered them huge wads of cash to design the Xbox internals,

there were no other big offers and they could certainly use the cash back
then...

So they did it and Microsoft are now making Nvidea lots of money... so they
feel obliged to do it...

keep in mind that that relationship has provided us (or will) with the
Nforce motherboard chipset,
which if the reports are true, will kill anything else around...

If they want to keep the linux crowd happy, they at the very least need to
provide binary drivers for every kernel/lib/X version possible... and keep
it updated...

I hope the same situation doesn't happen with Nforce,, that would be a great
shame...

If we all emailed them about it, it might make a difference... (can't hurt)

still, you can't blame a company for wanting to stop ATI (or others) from
taking advantage of the src code, for all we know they may have some really
special stuff going on in there, how would be know?  noones seen the code..
and we can't blame them for  wanting to be sucessful either...

They are not a software manufacturer primiarly, they are hardware, and good
hardware at that...

They just need gentle persuasion... :-)

rgds

Frank

PS As linux groupies, we have to be careful to not be seen as Zealots for
abusing everyone who doesn't do exactly what they want...

Would you guys be happy if they released drivers for linux in src code that
lacked ALL the cool features of the windows version and just provided basic
3d???  I doubt it.