Hello:

Thank you everybody for the quick response.  The ifconfig eth0 down has
solved my immediate problem, but it does not address my overall issue.  Which
is fine, since at the time I just wanted to get back to square one and start
over.

I have two pc's at home.  Both of them run windoze 98se, and they are both
configured via a LAN for file and printer sharing.  In one of my two pc's I
have partitioned my hdd and installed LM8.0.  I have been hearing of Linux
for at least a couple of years and had wanted to give it a shot.  I am now
trying to configure the Linux partition to re-establish my LAN.  So
bascially, I am talking about one Win98se box (Linksys nic), connected, via a
Linksys switch, to my linux box(Linksys nic).  For the most part I use my
linux pc as my main interface to the internet (a whopping 28.8 connection
speed via modem).  Whether each box accesses the internet separately or they
both use my connection via the unix box iis immaterial to me.  Whichever
method seems the most practical will be the method I will use.  The other pc
is used mostly by my wife to check email and for work.  I also use it as a
place to keep my back up files.  So my main interest would be to have the two
pc's connected for file and printer sharing (both printers are currently
attached to the linux box).

I read the documentation and concluded the Samba software was the answer to
my questions.  Let me digress for a line or two.  While installing LM it
looked to me like the nic was recognized and it was using the "tulip" driver.
 I obtained the information from the Mandrake Control Center (MCC).  I
Assumed (which in retrospect, might have been a mistake), since LM recognized
my nic that I was set to run in Samba.  Well, I read the instructions for
Samba.  I installed the proper files from the LM8.0 cd rom, I made the
recommended changes in the smb.conf file, and then executed the smb command
(./smb start).  When the command was executed, two lines showed up on my
terminal each ended with the word "ok".  So I was all excited about it.  "I
be the big kahuna, I know what I am doing."  Well, the celebration was short
lived.  I went to the windoze box and network neighborhood would not
recognize the existence of my linux.  I check the back of my linux box.  The
nic has 4 led in the back.  When it is working properly (in windows), three
of the 4 lights will be on at all times, and the fourth one will light up
when the machine is active in the lan.  When I checked the light status, only
two of the lights were on.  I have tried several things and none have worked.

I realize I need to set up a p/w for the satellite windows box, but when I
log into windows, it does not ask for a password.  And is that the password
the samba is seeking when trying to connect to the windows box?  I also
realize the need to set up a user in the linux box which matches the name of
the windows system.  I am just a bit fuzzy as how to go about it.  My windows
box is named Jean.  So does it mean, I must set up a p/w in the Jean machine
when it first boots up, set a user in linux by the name of Jean, assign it a
p/w, and then have both p/w to be the same?  Am I clear on this, or am I off
base?

I also thought maybe my nic was not configured.  That is when I went into MCC
and tried to configure it.  As I retraced my steps, I now realize I was
configuring it to be my internet connection, which was a blatant mistake on
my part.  To make matters worse, I set it up with a static ip of
192.168.1.127(which I suspect threw my internet connection for a loop).
Fortunately, I was saved from myself by the "ifconfig" command.  But now,
what do I do to finish setting up my LAN?  Poking around MCC, I noticed there
is an "expert" way to configure the nic.  There it asks what protocol to use,
static ip, uchp,  and there was a third choice I can't remember.  Should I go
ahead and set it up for uchp, or static?  And then what?  Should I give up
trying to set this up via MCC (Mandrake Control Center) and do it via the
terminal mode?

I think I have covered most of it.  If you need any further information, I
will be more than glad to provide it.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dexter
AKA coqui- in #shelter on EFnet.