Paul,
Thanks for the rapid response.
Yes, I REALLY typed it, (<) Getting desperate!  Trying anything.
Yes I tried it without the < also.
Sending the list? I am on one machine using the WIN98 O/S with
Netscape.  The list is on the MDLIN O/S on the same machine.
One thing I will explain root,root was what I visibly seen, via
the KDE module, nothing else.  I can't gain access that way.
Maybe this is the question I should ask, I installed using DrakX.
Was/Is there something else I should have done directly after
installation? After installation I did go in and set up another
user.  Possibly the incorrect way but it worked, and works.
Now since you have responded I have done or discovered the
following issues -
WIN O/S - Netscape
How you managed to respond I don't know as I received three
"undeliverable" for the same message.
I tried to print your message out, wouldn't.  It did before
and will off of the network.  Modem is acting up.
I rebooted into Linux O/S -
All items on boot screen are OK except anti virus. Fine.
Typed -
ls -l /cat/p*
ls:invalid option --/ (may have been a spacing issue.)
ls -l /cat/p*
no such file or directory  (No issue - plain facts)
ls -l / > list.txt
ls:invalid option --/ Try 'ls --help' for more information.
Laugh now - I typed -
ls/options/help

I went into Konquereor via graphic module -
In the home directory a file, List.txt. it was empty.
As for the other issue root, root.  In KDE graphic module,
Bookmarks, History, Home, Network, Root Directory,
Clicked open root directory, over half way down is a
locked root.  It is set to where I do have access,
according to it's properties.  No access via graphics.
Please unless you want to you do not have to respond.
I responded due to FYI's for you.  Because of years
of dealing with issues indirectly related to all of
the above items I have to make some nasty decisions.
All related to environmental variables. Several which
I have no control over. No dual O/S?
My gut told me it wouldn't work.  It is, but the fine
tuned items don't, or are messing with one another.
It is strange because the item messing up was
recognized as a problem with the Linux O/S.  Does
not work with Linux O/S and it is messing up in the
WIN 98 system.
I could install an additional modem on the dual O/S
and have each dedicated, but that may lead to more
issues. I do have five different systems.  I
mainly deal with only three so I do have several
options.

Thank you! - I really do appreciate the help.