Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to restrict what programs the user
can run/install, samba could minimize this if you restricted access to any
folders on your file/archive server which contain the applications. A good
firewall, running Squid AND SquidGuard, could prevent them from downloading
programs, as it can be configured to restrict/deny the ability to download.
That's exactly what I'm using it for on 2 of my firewalls. But I don't
believe that samba or any other Linux-based program can prevent a windows98
PC from running a program that is currently installed on that Windows98
client. Besides, any program that cold prevent it, could easily be
circumvented by users downoading a password crack . We tried using about 5 or
6 "Security" programs for Windows, and they were useless. As soon as someone
downloaded a cracker program, all security on the Windows98 clients was
compromised.

After setting up Mandrake SNF, I cheerily set up Squid and SquidGuard, and
voila! The downloads stopped, therefore the password cracks stopped. The only
other option would be a Thin-Client network, where all programs are contained
on, and run from the server, thus giving you absolute control over what they
can/can't do on the Clients.

Lanman