|as well as authenticating users, can samba be used to restrict
|what programs
|users can run or install on win clients, I'm thinking win98SE
|clients but if
|there is a difference with other win clients i would be
|interested to know?

The short answer is YES.

Samba supports BOTH user Policies and Roving Profiles.

Roving profiles basically stores the users desktop and menus on the
Samba server itself.

Since the winblows client gets it's info/menu & desktop from the Samba
server this will do what you want.

Policies enable you to restrict changes or even access to the
limitations you have imposed including;

The modification of menus
The installation of software
Access to the Control Panel
Access to DOS
Etc. etc. etc.

No matter which machine the users moves to on your LAN, he/she picks up
the same profile. (note that this does require that the same software be
installed on all machines, or some icons will not function...)

There is one little problem with policies... Once turned on, it is VERY
difficult to remove all vestiges of them. You are normally better off
reformatting after your machine has been afflicted by them, in case you
need to undo policies.

Policies are "forced" on the winblows workstation via Samba. Even new
machines joining the domain can be hamstrung this way if you wish.

Pick up "Samba: Integrating Unix and Windows" by John D. Blair and the
"Samba Black Book" by Coriolis Press. Both are must reads if you want to
implement things like this.

-JMS