A lot of people have found that doing a fresh install of a later version
of Mandrake tends to save a lot of system stabillity issues.  If you
made a seperate /home partition, you should be able to safely format all
of your other partitions and still retain most of your personal
information and settings.  However any extra programs (non Mandrake)
will need to be reinstalled (because you formatted the drive) and maybe
other people have some persepctive/experience with any settings that may
need to be reset.

-Paul Rodríguez