Hi,

>I didn't make it clear that my wife could just log on
>the net - give me the IP and I'm away - so, in fact, I
>wouldn't want those things to be automatic.

I think the problem comes in more from the fact that once your
home machine is up and on the net ANYONE can ftp into your
machine!!!
This obviously reliese on someone having the IP address and
being able to sniff out login details, but my point is that it is not
overly secure.
My suggestion would be to have an ssh server on your home
machine and ssh into it from work. You can then use sftp to
grab the files while maintaining the security you get with an
ssh tunnel.
Basically this would allow you to block just about anything
incoming through your firewall (You DO have a firewall, don't you!)
and therefore not open yourself up to all those wonderful skiddies
out there.

I realise this is possibly a little more initial setup, but it makes life
a site more secure!!!

regards,

Steve.