On Monday 17 September 2001 07:55 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know what I am doing different, but I have an nVidia GeForce
> II on an card made by Asus (I think it is the V7700), and I have
> ABSOLUTELY no problems with it;

> Anyways, I was just posting this to let people who are on the market
> know that the GeForce II DOES work with LM8 (beautifully in fact),

   The latest nVidia drivers for LM 8.0 were compiled against kernel
2.4.3-20mdk and Xfree86 4.0.2.  If you don't change anything they
probly will work. They did for me even with XF-4.1.x.  Then as I
upgraded to newer kernels, XF versions, and objectprelink'd KDE2.2.1,
and other upgrades (basically to LM 8.1) they became completely broken.

   This is one problem with closed source drivers. You never know when
even a minor security or bugfix update will break them, much less other
upgrades.  There is no way for Mandrake to support them because nVidia
refuses to share the source with Linux developers. OTOH, they do submit
their driver source to M$.

    Other problems with closed source drivers are security related, and
the added dependence on nVidia to provide future updates.  If you want
to upgrade to 8.1 when it comes out (it's RC1 right now), you'll most
likely break the current nVidia drivers. There's also no guarantee,
that future nVidia drivers will work with 8.1. They weren't smart
enough to use the current LM 8.0 kernel and XF version.
--
        Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA
Admiral Yamamoto:  "I fear that all we have done is to awaken a