Like you I could not get Mozilla to work with Java. It kept insisting Java
was not enabled. Went through the process of down loading java, and then
failing again. Nor can I persuade Star Office Java is actually installed.

Netscape 4.77 works with Java, but it sucks.

So now I use Opera 5.05TP which works just great. Opera is the fastest
browser for rendering pages I have seen. (Much faster than Konquerer)The
Linux version is not as good as the Windoze one (some neat features have been
left out), but at least it works with Java. The downside is the free version
has an advertising banner which annoys some people.

If you want it go to www.opera.com  Make sure you get 5.05TP and not 5.0
which has no Java support.  There is a page of instructions telling you how
to set up the Java VM at http://www.opera.com/linux/docs/plugins/

Derek :-)