on 9/20/01 8:09 AM, Randy Kramer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Energy Consumption:

This is what I've always wondered about. Does leaving a computer on all the
time save or cost more energy than just having it on when needed? Doesn't
starting a computer require a lot of energy?

My energy bill is a concern and I've always opted to only have my computer
on when needed because I tend to just use it in the evening and early in the
morning. So I start it up and shut it down twice a day.

But at the same time if the extra cost isn't that much, it'd be great to be
able to ssh into my computer from work, schedule stuff with cron, etc etc.

Any good websites that cover this? I've searched but it's an awkward thing
to search for.

Matt