On Friday 21 September 2001 05:01, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>    My opinion, buy nothin but APC. I have a BackUPS 500. It was $120 at
> Wal*Mart several years ago.  I use to connect the serial cable and
> install the APC daemon for unattended shutdown, but since using
> ReiserFS for over a year now, I don't even bother.  The bonus is that
> an UPS not only replaces the need for a quality $80 surge protector, it
> also kicks in during instances of low power.  Mine often gives it's
> alarm screetch when the house A/C compressor kicks in while the
> microwave is in use.
>
>    Just my opinion again, but any desktop PC used everyday should run
> 24/7, powering down only the monitor, and have an UPS.  You can get
> cheaper than APC, but you'll probly end up spending more on replacement
> batteries in the long run.  Try to buy locally even if you can find a
> better price online. UPS' are heavy. Shipping would probly negate any
> online savings.

Speaking of UPSs, has anyone by chance use an UPGUARDS?  My UPS is an
UPGUARDS Pro 650 which I've had since 1997 but haven't used since using
LM8.0 (approx 3 months) because I leave my PC on 24/7.  The problem is
that the UPS shuts itself down at approx 1.00am every morning!  I can't
figure out why and the manual that came with it isn't much help.  I
recently sent an email to the manufacturers (at least I think I tracked
down the right manufacturer) but received no reply at all.  It used to do
the same thing when using Windows but I never left the PC running
overnight with Windows.

I worry about lightening storms and over the last three months have had to
leap out of bed in the middle of the night to shut down and unplug the PC
and modem when I've heard thunder.  Any ideas why the UPS would shut
itself down?  Before switching off, it does the usual warning beeps for
5-10 mins if that makes any difference.

TIA
skinky