At 10:54 20.09.2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi there!
>
>I recently tried to install Mandrake on the very same HD (3GB for WinNT
>boot(C:), 20 GB for NT (D:), 18GB for Mandrake) like my current Win NT.
>Everything worked fine, until I tried to start NT again. NT could not find
>Disk D, where all the applications are stored. The Diskmanager told me,
>there was an unknown partition. setting the FS type under linux from 85 to 5
>enhanced the problem not significantly. After removing LiLo from the mbr NT
>worked again.
>Now my question is: Does anybody know how to install LiLo without harming
>the partitiontable information NT requires? I would appreciate any hint on
>how to do this. Couldn't really find anything...
>
>Andreas

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

hiho andreas

well - u mean u were able to boot into windows nt ?
but u werent able to start any applications ?

hmm - under win98 i know this problem doesnt exist because it doesnt "see"
the linux ext2 partitions at all.
under win2k one is able to "hide" the unknown partitions, thus making them
invisible to windows - so they are not occupying drive letters.

under win NT ---- arent u able to "hide" the unknown partitions ?
or - assign the unknown partition another drive letter than D ?
(i assume that the unknown partition is a primary and your former D part.
is a logical drive)
so win nt re-assigns the drive letters - making the first 2 primary
partitions C and D and then following your partition with your windows nt apps.

u could also try to re-install linux - installing it *not* to a primary,
but secondary(logical) partition (i think it should be possible - consult
your manual)

hth

--quay