On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:49:41 -0700 (PDT), Manuel Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > IMHO, PAN is the best for this.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly, PAN (Pimp Ass Newsreader) is the best, but
> mandrake has thusfar fought me in installing the latest version.
>
> There's a built in older version in Mandrake 8 if you installed it, just
> type 'pan'
>
> Now to figure out why I couldn't get the latest version installed...
>
> Oh yea:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>       libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3) is needed by pan-0.10.0-1
>
> And when I tried to upgrade glibc, it fought me, and I just don't have the
> time to update everything... I got work to do :)
>
> Good luck, pass back a success story!

Assuming that you're trying to install a Cooker package, this problem would be
because Cooker uses GLIBC 2.2.3, whereas Mandrake 8.0 uses 2.2.2. You have
several options here:

1. You can upgrade your GLIBC. The best way to do this would be to install
Mandrake Freq3.
2. Better yet, wait for Mandrake 8.1, which is due early next week.
3. Compile PAN from source. You can get the Cooker SRPM and issue a "rpm
--rebuild" to it.
4. Get a binary package from elsewhere (e.g. Red Hat or Ximian packages).
5. Install Ximian GNOME.

I took option 5, because I am a GNOME user as well.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson