> ->Then it just starts spewing out 1s and 0s like this across the
> ->screen "01 01 01 01 01 01 " except it goes on forever!!

That's usually the case of either a missing bootloader for the
driver, or perhaps one of the cables to your hard drive isn't
quite seated properly. I recall this happening when one of my
drive cables had a short, and it was (of course) the drive that
held the boot record.

> ->This of course wipes over whatever the Mandrake installer did,
> ->but at least I can boot windows to read docs and send emails :)

Try reloading the boot sector - if you are using lilo, it's pretty
easy - it even saves a copy of the old boot sector for the drive(s)
which you can use dd to copy over. You might see the file 'boot.0300'
in /etc/lilo or in /boot - in any case, it's the boot record for the
03,00 device (i.e. /dev/hda).