On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:22:04 -0400, Michael Scottaline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:13:15 -0300
> "Nicolás Gómez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:
>
> NG> Hi Folks!.... when is the date that the Kernel 2.5 is expected to be
> NG> released??
> NG> I read that it will has the ALSA drivers on it.... is that true?
> ==================
> If I'm not mistaken, Nicolas, the 2.5.x series will be development
> kernels, not genuine "release" kernels.  IOW, it will be for developers
> and kernel hackers, the way the 2.3 series had been.  Most likely the next
> release kernel will be 2.6.0 and I have no idea when that might happen.
> Heck, I'm still using 2.2.19 on most of my boxes (I have one old laptop
> still using 2.2.5 ;-) ).
> Mike

That's right. There are three parts to a Linux (i.e. the kernel) version number,
which are separated by dots (the numbers are _not_ decimals!).

Take a look at the latest Linux release, 2.4.9. A chance in the first part
(which is currently 2) signifies a _major_ change. A change in the second part
(currently 4) denotes a large, but not fundamental, change. A change in the
third part (currently 10) shows a relatively minor change.

Now, breaking down the second part even more, odd numbers signify "development"
releases, and even numbers represent a "stable" release. The 2.3 series was
developed to become 2.4. When the 2.5 tree is opened, it shall be developed into
2.6 (or possibly even 3.0).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson