my bet is that until you read about PCTel opening up the source, and that
won't happen until after M$ opens their source for the windows9x kernel.
(read: NEvEr). I believe it has MUCH less to do with linux and it's
development that it does with the DCMA and US law. (we in America are out to
make friends and influence people to be our friends, as long as you don't
talk about how sloppy our methods of encryption are or try to "steal" our
corporate secrets. heck maybe we could solve the terrorist problem by
checking Bin Ladens  licenses for M$ products?)

On Sunday 23 September 2001 06:43, you wrote:
> I run the Radeon 64Mb DDR card under Linux-Mandrake 7.2 without incident.
>
> Is there any change with "winmodem" in either 8.0 or 8.1?
>
> I would like to just plug and play with my winmodem without having to get a
> new real modem.

you might be pleased with the improvments in getting winmodems to work (but
really is not plug and pray), but you might also like the way M$winders runs
after you get rid of the PCTel modem and the software that goes with it (not
just the driver, but other PCTel stuff loaded at the same time as the
driver). Just my experiance. I am sure PCTel MUST have gotten better since I
dealt with them, since I have not bought another PCTel or HSP modem in about
4 years, and still have 2 hanging around the house, not in any box, but my
personal feelings are that I would NOT give one of these away to an enemy,
much less sell it to someone I don't even know on e-bay.