PENA FAMILY wrote:

> This is for the interest of anyone who is planning on buying a Linux
> compatible external modem.
[snip]

hayes is good. have used slower 'early models', grew faster with usr,
now motorola.

> All in all I enjoyed and recommend the Hayes external modem. The only
> trouble now is setting up to look at email but keeps asking me for a user
> name but doesn't seem to keep the information.

if that modem asking, look in included manual, see 'hayes command set',
find 'at' commands, locate codes for procedure.

enter new codes to active buffer, copy to first storage buffer.
modify linux modem reset command to reload first storage buffer.

another thing nice about external is 'transfer switch' boxes. i use
2 motorola surfers on 2 a-d boxes. 1 hits tty1, other tty2 on 4 svrs.
2 svrs are always opposite.

setting up a box for coyote, will change out with workstation svr
once installed.

tc,hago.

.