At 09:48 PM 09/25/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I installed a few security updates via Mandrake Update to my MDK 8.0 system
>over the weekend.  One of them was an updated xinted.  All seemed to go
>well.
>
>Tonight I found the need to telnet to my machine, and couldnt, no telnet
>service.  I tracked it down to the fact that xinetd wasnt running.  Further
>investigation found that the binary in /usr/sbin was called xinetd-<version
>number> and not just plain xinetd.
>
>Renaming it now has it starting up again from cold boot.
>
>Anyone else come across this, or is it old hat?

It isn't just on Mandrake 8.0 -- I had the same problem on 7.2 .

I made /usr/sbin/xinetd a symbolic link to
/usr/sbin/xinetd-<version_number>, and it works fine now (not that I use
xinetd for much, since I've turned off most of the services it provides).

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978