On Monday 22 October 2001 08:02 pm, you wrote:

> I know that several distributions (Mandrake, SuSe, and
> Debian) come in  PPC flavours, but I sometimes wonder
> if they will continue to find it worthwhile to develop
> for PPC.

There's always MkLinux and LinuxPPC. MkLinux has Apple themselves
contributing to it (which just shows how much cooler than MS they are). I'd
think the much more centralized hardware configurations of Macs would make
hardware compatibility and drivers a  smaller issue (although I've never used
a ppc linux to know for sure).

> Although I expect that we would usually use
> OS X on the Mac

I'd say the number one thing to consider is whether the software you want has
an OSX version yet. If you have to run OSX in classic mode 99% of the time,
you're losing basically all the benefits your new Mac would give you.

> I would be interested in any thoughts/experiences
> people have concerning Mac vs Intel architecture
> (either relating to the above or in any other
> respect).

One thing to consider is the quality of hardware. If you avoid iMacs and
Cubes, you'll get a machine that's very well made with excellent components.
There's no such thing as a "macmodem" or anything like that. The same can be
said for x86 machines, but you'd have to do a lot more homework.

I added a second hard drive to my Mac at work recently which is just begging
me to put Linux on it. But I don't want to risk it :)

Matt