on 10/23/01 11:14 AM, Steve Borrett at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> There's wine, the windows emulator. It takes a windows application and
>> translates the calls it makes into something X can handle, so you can run
>> the app right in X. www.winehq.com
>
> <smug>
> Just because I am in a pedantic mood, I would like to point out that saying
> "wine is a windows emulator" is an oxymoron. WINE stands for
> "Wine is not an emulator", therefore proving itself that your statement is
> woefully
> inaccurate. *grin*
> </smug>

Yes, I'm well aware of that. But pointing out the technicalities of what
Wine is and isn't, isn't exactly necessary to inform the OP of a program
that will let him run Windows apps in a Linux environment (excuse me, a
GNU/Linux environment). Calling it an "emulator" probably gives him an idea
of what it does, a reference point. If he's really interested in what it
does, he can read up on it at the URL I gave him.

What's with the unnecessary attitude? Last I heard, being in a "pedantic
mood" and wrapping your post with cute little tags is not a viable excuse to
be an ass for no reason.

Matt