Wow. Thanks for all your help.

The MAC address -- ah, ok. So I would have to replace the network card like
you said. Someone else mentioned that earlier, too. Now it makes sense. So
if I had an extra network card, switching out network cards would work, but
only once since both network cards would keep their ip addresses for the
terms of the leases.

Now that I understand, this means that after the term of the lease my ip
address will be up for grabs and there's a chance that I could get it or
someone else could it back, since the ip address that is on stored in the
ip table(s) is not the one that is actually associated with the mac address
in my network card. When it's lease runs out, the dhcp server will see that
it's not being used and might give it to someone else. Actually, unless
there's something else to all this, I will almost certainly lose it,
because my network card isn't using dhcp anymore. So how would it get
renewed? It wouldn't, right? It will remain on my system, since I entered
it manually, but the dhcp server wouldn't renew it, because my network card
isn't using dhcp anymore. So if it *happened* to be reassigned to someone
else, there would be a conflict. If wasn't reassigned, by chance, my
connection would continue to work as long as that ip was never assigned.
But someday it would be, so it would just be a matter of time until my
connection would no longer work, because it would never be renewed via
dhcp, since my network card isn't using dhcp now.

Sighs... so I'd have to check back periodically, by using "host <ip
number>" to see if I still have the lease. When I don't, then I would need
to turned dhcp back on my network card. Does that sound right, or is there
an easier way? Maybe I should try and swap out a network card from another
computer laying around, and get that one going with dhcp, and then just
leave everything alone?

mitch

                    "Jose M. Sanchez"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    om>                          cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     RE: [newbie] How do I
release my IP number?
                    newbie-owner@linux-ma

                    ndrake.com

                    10/22/01 04:28 PM