If you have access to the DHCP server itself there are normally easier
ways to do this.

NT's DHCP control panel permits you to select and "revoke" assigned
leases.

Linux's DHCP server permits you to revoke leases via Linuxconf. Though
you can manually purge lease assignments by also editing the named
files. Linux's DHCP server interacts with DNS if both are properly set
up. When you get a DHCP assignation, Linux will update local DNS server
(which must be running) with the assignation and create a new DNS/NAMED
entry in the files.

By merely deleting this addition, Linux will reassign a new IP to that
machine when it joins the network the next time...

But of course, your "brute force", beat it over the head, approach works
very nicely too! ;)

-JMS