I'm in the same boat with LM8.1 as he is.

I've tried all the standard stuff, security, hosts.* files, etc... But
no matter what (and yes everything IS installed) I get a connection
refused, even when trying a localhost connection.

Everything else works.

Has anyone been able to get telnetd to respond under LM8.1?

-JMS