Randy Kramer wrote:

> Admin wrote:
> > Looking for a word processor to use under lm8.0, which needs to be able to
> > import word documents as well as save in ms word format(if possible).  Any
> > suggestions?  Thanks...
>
> AbiWord is a good word processor, it will be a great word processor.  It
> is not finished yet.  Currently, among other things:
>
> It can:
> -Open many Word files
> -Save files as .rtf which Word can read
> -Most "standard" word processing functions
> -Use styles
> -Do numbered and bulleted lists (with some bugs or enhancements
> required, last time I looked)
>
> It cannot (yet):
> -Do tables
> -Do footnotes
> -Do outlining
>
> I've tried StarOffice but haven't really used it.  It seems to include
> more features than AbiWord at this time.  I think it can do tables, I
> know it can do outlining (with a different UI than Word).

Star Office does just about everything.  Unfortunately versions
5.1 and 5.2 were bloatware, taking hours to load and monopolising
the CPU.  The beta of 6.0 looks very good, though - they ditched
the browser and email client and the integrated desktop, and went
for KDE integration instead.  Of course, being beta it crashes
occasionally, but no more than MS Office does normaly, in my
experience.

Robin