On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:16:48 -0500, "Richard Schiavo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hello;
> I am installing Mandrake 8.1 on a system built of spare parts (low finances).
> This will be a single user system.
>
> I have an FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
> AMD K6-3 450 Mhz. CPU
> 196 meg SDRAM
>
> I have installed 3 hard drives;
>
>  1-545 meg partitioned as:
> hda1      / (250Meg)     native Linux type
> hda5    SWAP (164Meg)    swap type
> hda6     /var (104 Meg)  native Linux type
>
>  1-425 meg partioned as:
> hdb1     /home (200 Meg)  native Linux type
> hdb5     /xxx (200 + Meg,)   <----- would like to use the remainder of this
>                                     drive for an additional /usr partition
>
>  1-630 meg partitioned as:
> hdc1     /usr (600+ Meg)  native Linux type  <-- I've used up all this space
>                                                  with installed Apps.
>
> My problem is I need to install the Kernel-source and all of the support files
> that will allow me to compile an Aureal audio card driver but there is just
> not enough room on hdc1 which is where these additional apps want to get
> installed. Sure would have been nice if the Aureal driver was built as an
> ".rpm" file ready to install WITHOUT having to compile anything.
>
> HOW can I add an additional /usr partition as proposed on hdb5 ?
> I noticed the hard drive partitioning utility only lets me select ONE of ANY
> MOUNT POINT even if that mount is on a different physical drive.
>  If I try to define another mount point of the same name it puts up a message
> that tells me "You already have a /xxx mount point" !
>
> How can I span multiple physical drives to expand my " /usr " partition ???
>

> - Rick

The best way would be to use LVM, but this requires a repartitioning of your
drive (which means that you'd lose your data).

A simpler (but messier)  way would be to use symlinks to move a directory to
another partition. For example, you can move the content of /usr/lib to another
partition and then use a symlink in /usr to point to it.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"I wrote code that works. I didn't test it, but the discussion is closed. It
might have syntactic problems, but it does work. Better than any kernel
extension ever would. End of story." -- Linus Torvalds