I would have stuck with postfix if I were you, its much more secure then
sendmail, its faster, smaller and
easier as well.

if you start postfix or sendmail on boot (run: ntsysv from a prompt) and you
recieve mail,
it will go into the user account for whole the mail was addressed.

if postfix or sendmail is set to receive mail for mydomain.com
then mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] will be delieverd to the local delivery
agent, (don't worry about that, postfix will take care of setting up local
delivery for you) and it will be delivered to the user1 on that system..

which pine or kmail or any others can collect for you via pop3 or imap..

if you have imap installed, then pop3 is also installed since they come in
the same package, it depends which one
you turn on.. (go into /etc/xinetd and look for the pop3 file, open it and
remove disable=yes then restart xinetd or your computer)

I suggest you start by going to linuxdoc.org and having a read of the mail
howtoo's just to give you a
better understanding of it all..

rgds

Frank