Title: Message

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Matt Koppelman
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 7:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] MANDRAKE 8.1 INSTALL PROBLEMS

ok i am installing mandrake 8.1 iso on a clean, brand new machine. its an athlon 1.3 - i am having a few problems with it..
the machine has connectivity on my network, but keeps popping up this message at the prompt. "Probable Hardware Bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard.

---

Yes, Linux has identified a real problem with your motherboard.

The Clock Timer chip doesn't work properly on your motherboard (and on almost all motherboards equipped with Windbond clock chips, such as most VIA, and ALiMagik based boards).

This results in erroneous interrupt driven clock timer pulses. This upsets timing events and time dependant functions.

Linux (thankfully) tries to deal with this. Windows cannot (heh, heh).

There is not much you can do about this other than turning off the logs for this...

---

heres my second problem.. i have installe dlinux about 10 times on this thing.. every time i install, things that SHOULD be there are not.. like plain ol 'ftp' or 'drakxservices' - i cant find any of these on the computer. i KNOW i specified ftp to install from the beginning, and i also have done reccomended and expert installs.

---

The installer is a bit confusing. When you say plain ol "ftp" are you referring to the client or the server software?

If the latter, there is more than one FTP server package available in the distro. I.E Pro-FTP and WU-FTP, etc.

Try rpm -qa | grep ftp to see what actually was installed.

Note: the installer seems to miss about 50% of the available packages on the CDs.

Go into the software manager to find the rest. I ended up copying all 3 CD's to the hard drive and point the manager to the directories to avoid the constant swapping of CD's needed to install a lot of the packages and dependancies.

---

i have installed mandrake linux numerous times problem-free, but not 8.1 as of yet.. anyone have any ideas? or should i take the damn server back? :)

---

8.1 is pretty good and very stable, but does many things differently. This may add to your frustrations.

-JMS