On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:25:07 -0500 Epicurus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there some... uh, danger to using both of these methods? I typically like
> to just go with source when I want a program--it's usually what a program's
> website has available, so it spares me the trouble of hunting around to find
> an .rpm for it--but from time to time, particularly when I realize that
> there's something on my installation CDs that I'd like to put on here (or
> need to put on so that I can install something from source :P), it serves my
> purposes to use an .rpm.
>
> Just the other night, though, someone basically told me that if I did a fair
> amount of installing from source that it might eventually become impossible
> to install from .rpms.  That's a fairly noxious possibility for me, since
> .rpms can be convenient sometimes--they're sorta like the fast food of
> software.
>
> Any ideas on this?

When you compile, you can use the --prefix variable to change the base of the
install path. That way, you can install to a place where it won't harm your
other software. Removal is a simple case of deleting the directory where you
placed the programme (assuming you gave it its own dir).

The best (and easiest) way is to use CheckInstall
(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall-en.html). It can will install a
tarball as an RPM, and then give you a binary RPM to keep after the install.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Ok, the guy who made the netfilter Makefile was probably on some really
interesting and probably highly illegal drugs when he wrote it."
                        -- Linus Torvalds