Dave

Few suggestions for you to try

>From this mail http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2001-October/003717.html
You already have the tulip.o file, so you can skip everything up to

"Edit the file:
/etc/conf.modules

alias eth0 tulip.o
options tulip.o full_duplex=1,0,1 debug=0

There may be other entries for other modules...Leave those as they are"

You can find the tulip mail archives here:-
http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/

Note this comment
"
Linksys EtherPCI
Note: Recent cards use the similar PNIC chip, which requires a v0.83 or later
Tulip driver. "

Check out this thread which implies the pcnet_cs driver CAN be used for your
card :-
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=111766&forum_id=33427

and this thread
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=148164&forum_id=33427

>From the Linksys support pages
http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26
"EtherFast 10/100 PC Card
All of the setup instructions are contained in your
Linux package.  When you unpack your archive, look for a "how-to" document
concerning the installation of PCMCIA cards.  When you find the file, read it
and follow the directions.  You'll need to install the PCMCIA
services, enable networking, and finally, recompile the kernel.  After this
point,
the PC Card will be automatically recognized as soon as you plug it in. You
must have version 2.9.10 of the Linux PCMCIA services or higher.  You can ftp
the latest
version here"

The current version of pcmcia services is 3.1.29, and I am pretty sure it is
already in LM8.1  (Here is the home page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/ )

Let us know how you get on....

Derek