Hi--

I'm trying to run the Mandrake Powerpack Edition 8.0 on my laptop, and
I can't seem to get the video configured correctly for X.  The latest
symptom is that prefxdm runs for a while, prints "Press <return> to
continue" to stdout, and then exits.

Hardware:
Sharp PC-BJ150M (Japanese domestic model), AMD K6-500,
64 MB RAM.  Trident CyberBlade i7 AGP (8420-74) video card.
Configured for 4MB system memory to be used for video.

What I've done so far:
Installed 8.0, selecting 800x600 generic LCD display and "Trident
CyberBlade (generic)" as my video options.  Tried all resolutions/
colordepths with no luck (Screen appears scrambled, if at all).

Searched the web and found the same video card was used on the
HP Pavilion N3330 Notebook.  (ref www-gpsg.mit.edu/~simon/HP_N3330.html)
The recommendation there (for Redhat 7.1) was to use XF86_FBDev,
so I installed the rpm and edited my XF86Config file as shown in the
example.  Tried a bunch of different modelines, but nothing seems
to work.

Thanks for reading this far.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

--Cliff