On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Ethan wrote:

> that's strange. I am running LM 8.1 and issued the command as root in
> the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ driectory. typing xinetd by itself gets no
> response. And I believe that xinetd is the default - for without it, ftp
> and other services cannot run...
>
> man xinetd shows that sending the signal SIGUSR2 will cause a hard
> reconfiguration... but how do you do that. I tried kill -SIGUSR2 xinetd
> but it does not work. pls advise. thank you.

Did you tab out the xinetd like typing /etc/rc.d/init.d/xin then tab, just
to make sure it's even there or try /etc/rc.d/init.d/./xinetd restart(or start if it
isn't running). See if it is even running: ps -aux | grep xinetd. Other than that
it is very strange because it works fine here and I'm using LM 8.1 as well.

--
Chad Young